Loaded Veggie Chili
Chili makes me think of Sundays, when every now and then my Mom would make it. This big bowl of comfort was always much appreciated as we spent time together watching movies or playing board games. Then there's also the leftovers you can enjoy for days to come after (I personally believe it tastes even better the next day and so on as the flavours combine and maximize). Share a little love to yourself (and anyone else you live with) with this recipe that's loaded with veggies, antioxidants, healthy fats, and a hint of spice.
serves 4-6 people. Prep time: 20 min Cook Time: 40 min Total Time: 1 hour
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 small orange sweet potatoes, chopped
- 3 small purple sweet potatoes, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cored and chopped
- 1 can of kidney beans, drained and washed
- 1 (14-oz) can of diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 4 fresh green chilli peppers, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp cumin
- 2 tbsp paprika
- pinch of salt
- 1 lb of lean ground turkey (use ground soy meat or omit for to make this vegetarian/vegan friendly)
- 1/2 cup of vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- Your favourite sour cream (regular/dairy free) or yogurt (regular/coconut/cashew/etc)
- 1 large avocado, peeled and sliced
- A handful of fresh cilantro, chopped
- A handful of green onions, chopped
- Get all ingredients washed, chopped, and prepared.
- In a large pot, over medium heat, heat up 1 tbsp of olive oil
- Add the onion and sauté until soft/translucent
4. Add in the carrots and sweet potatoes, cook for 3-5 minutes (stirring occasionally so that they cook evenly) until they're a bit soft.
5. Add the bell pepper, garlic, chilli powder, cumin, paprika and a pinch of salt. Stir occasionally and cook for another 3-5 minutes
6. Remove everything from the pot and place it to the side
7. In the same pot add the remaining 1 tbsp of olive oil
8. Cook the ground turkey or soymeat for 1-2 minutes (almost thoroughly cooked)
9. Add in the can of diced tomatoes, tomato paste, beans, and vegetable broth. Also add the veggies you put to the side back in and mix everything together.
10. Cover the pot with the lid (but leaving it slightly off) and simmer on medium/ low temperature for 20 minutes
11. Add in 1/2 of the chopped chilis (save the rest for garnishing later)
12. Cover and cook for another 10 minutes, stirring occasionally
13. Add some to a bowl then garnish with sour cream/yogurt, cilantro, sliced avocado, and green onion.