Simple Steamed Fish with Ginger & Spring Onion
Here is a simple, delicious, healthy recipe that I eat at least once a week. Although this method of cooking is really light it still has a lot of flavour. I like to serve mine with a side of steamed veggies, red rice, and miso soup. I put little bowls of different dipping sauces on the side (sesame, onion, chilli) for the veggies. Changing up the veggies, dipping sauces, and soup keeps this meal interesting.
Serves 2 people. Prep time: 10 min Cook Time: 15 min Total Time: 25 min
- Fresh Red Snapper Fish (Grouper or Flounder also work well, pretty much any white fish)
- 1.5 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 2 Spring Onion Stalks, sliced into long strips
- 2 Cloves of garlic, minced
- Thumb size amount of ginger, peeled and julienned
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of White Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Corn Starch
- 2 tsp of Canola Oil
- optional topping: Handful of fresh Cilantro (Coriander), chopped
- Chop/prepare all ingredients.
- Wash and dry the fish.
- Place the fish on the plate it will steam on (I use a metal plate but any plate that is able to withstand high heat will work).
- Add salt, pepper, garlic and half of the ginger. Pour 1 tsp of canola oil over it.
- Add a bit of water to a pot/large wok/steamer. I use a big wok with a metal platform. You can also build your own with chopsticks (place 2 pairs in a '#') or other methods. On high heat, bring water to a boil before adding platform (be careful, use tongs to add it). You can find a steaming plate on amazon here (US$9.99).
- Add plate of fish on top of the platform (which is on top of the boiling water), turn down heat to medium/high. Steam for 8 minutes
- Turn off heat and let fish sit inside the pot for 3 minutes.
- Take the water inside the fish plate (should be around 2 tbsp).
- In a side bowl, combine the fish water with the leftover ginger, soy sauce, and cornstarch.
- Over medium heat add the remaining 1 tsp of canola oil to a small sauce pan. Add in the spring onions and stir fry quickly for 1 minute (the onion should become golden brown quickly). Pour the soy sauce mixture over it. Stir fry for another minute.
- Carefully remove the plate of fish, pour onion sauce mixture over it. Top with cilantro.
- Serve immediately.